Flood lights are broad beamed lights for illuminating any vast area such as stadiums, industries, recreational facilities, parking lots or any outdoor area.
These light fixtures best serve when chosen in accord to the location they are to be used at.
Features of flood lights:
- Flood lights have highly resistant aluminium housing with a built in heat sink.
They differ from other fixtures greatly for a fact, as they are outdoor fixtures.
- They have a broad light angle and are resistant to outdoor environmental factors such as rain, heat and frost.
- A flood light fixture comes with several mounting options according to the places they mount on. The different mounting options are:
- wall mount adapters
- Pole top mounting brackets
- Bullhorn mounting brackets
- mounting plates
- U-mount bracket
- They have thermal design fins at the back of the fixture which allows the heat to escape and prevent the dirt from accumulating in the fixture.
- They have optical covering; i.e. symmetric and asymmetric wide angles which allows to adjust the beam angle and illuminate maximum area.
Applications of flood light:
Flood lights are multi-purpose integrative outdoor light fixtures basically with their several mounting options, they are compatible with various outdoor elements where artificial bright light is essential. Some outdoor flood light fixtures can accommodate over two lights per fixture.
The common flood light applications are:
- Parking lots
- hockey/baseball fields
- Cricket stadiums
- Golf course
- Construction sites
- College campus
- Street lights
- Outdoor festivals
Types of Flood lights:
Flood lights can be:
- Solar powered
- Battery operated
- Direct line operated
There are various flood light fixtures available in the market. Most of them require high-intensity bulbs to impart bright light.
Halogen floodlights are common because halogen lamps are bright high intensity lamps.
LED flood lights have recently taken over the market for several reasons. LED technology is advanced and efficient. They are available in a variety of designs based on various features. They are cheaper in the long run and have proven to be a smart long-term investment.
Why are LED flood lights preferable?
- LEDs are smart and efficient, they generate less heat and more light. This makes them 90% efficient than their counterparts.
- They do not disintegrate and have longer life spans. A usual flood light has a life of above 50000 hours.
- They can withstand harsh temperature conditions.
- LED bulbs are available in various designs which allows the light to disperse in various directions in a controlled manner. With this feature, the beam angle is adjustable and forms a compact beam.
- Flood light fixtures are IP rated for protection against dust, water, and toxic elements.
- They are available in a variety of colour temperatures ranging from cool bright light to warm light which is rated 2500K to 6000K.
To install floodlights, the layout is kept in mind. The area which needs light should be measured as the intensity of light differs. It is called the detection zone. This determines the number of fixtures required to light up the area properly, avoiding any dark spots.